Put a poem in your pocket
Get out! It's "Poem in Your Pocket Day" today. Who knew?
My friend and hula hooper extraordinaire, Mary, just emailed to tell me. So, depending on where you live, you might still have a few hours of "Poem in Your Pocket Day" left--get a poem in that pocket post haste! The idea is to share poetry.
As their website says, "The idea is simple: select a poem you love during National Poetry Month then carry it with you to share with co-workers, family, and friends on April 17. Poems from pockets will be unfolded throughout the day with events in parks, libraries, schools, workplaces, and bookstores."
More info is here. I love their suggestions for spreading the word--we'll have to do it next year, eh?
- Start a “poems for pockets” give-away in your school or workplace
- Urge local businesses to offer discounts for those carrying poems
- Post pocket-sized verses in public places
- Handwrite some lines on the back of your business cards
- Start a street team to pass out poems in your community
- Distribute bookmarks with your favorite immortal lines
- Add a poem to your email footer
- Post a poem on your blog or social networking page
- Project a poem on a wall, inside or out
- Text a poem to friends